Sunday, February 12, 2006

something new, something old (2006)


the brown
skinned
tight
grinned
woman at the door
asked me
if I knew
that
I was
an hour early
to see
sanaa lathan
in something new

and I answered yes
took my
book
and settled into a comfortable clicking rhythm of words
that made
brother
ask
if it was good


in the theater
the caramel colored
sister
asks me
if i knew
that when the ticket takers
went off duty
they were told to watch us
and make sure we didn't sneak in
to any movies

and something new
turned to something old
and hot in me
always
showing my hands
where eyes can see
palms, but not
me

I'm 28 years old
well past the stage
of sneaking into movies
I tell the manager

they apologize
and give me readmission ticket
which I give to
sister girl
because she heard it
only fair--

and yet
I wonder
who
was it
that taught
the woman
at the counter
to watch

No comments: