Thursday, March 30, 2006

Me

Birds of Paradise by Dexter Griffin

I was looking for you
in gardens, and ghettos, and grandiose ideas
the concept of you
peals
and shades like palm leaves
or banana sleeves

I was looking for you
in red earth mud
on the banks of the Mississippi
did not find you waiting for you there
explored Egypt and Tanzania
Brazil and San Domingo
sailed my solemn soul on the coast of Morocco
and lost you
but
your face is in every wide lipped smile I see

oh well,
I guess?

Wondering who I need to be
to get your attention
knew you when we played
hopscotch
and finger popped
chased your endless darts
around the block

but somehow, the arrow missed your center
and I am left hanging with the sling

You know every song that my heart sings
and yet you know me not
the intimacy of ignorance
is closer than the handshake of friends

my mind bends
with the weight of your absence
billowing through
my thoughts....

2 comments:

dara said...

this poem reminds me of a love i once had. thanks for the beautiful comment on my site.

ms mimi the mocha soulchild said...

Thanks so much for the love! Visit anytime.